http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Anticipation Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Friday Shuffle - Anticipation Edition

In exactly two months from this very moment the airplane in which I'll be flying will be preparing to land in Memphis. While I can't predict the future I can predict that I will be on the verge of delirious happiness because at that point my ass will be numb, my elbow bruised from being smacked repeatedly by the drink cart and I will be willing to pay a large sum of money to be able to wash my face in a sink larger than a postage stamp.

I have such plans for my time in the US. Buy shoes that don't look as though they were designed by crazed baboons. Ride in a car larger than a can of tuna. Brush only my teeth. Have someone else polish my toenails. Go out to lunch and not have to pay for every single refill of iced tea. Actually being able to go out to lunch and have iced tea. Have a conversation and not having to stop suddenly in the middle because I don't know the German word for...oh...I dunno...embalming fluid or cattle prod or shoe tree.

I need this break because I'm starting to get very excited about things that shouldn't, under normal circumstances, be even a faint blip on my consciousness radar. I had a fifteen minute conversation with B today over the new toilet bowl cleaning solution I'd used that was able to get the lime scale crap from under the waterline to dissolve without me having to snap on a rubber glove and brandish a scrub brush. Seedless grapes were on sale today and I nearly became giddy. I got my new TV guide and began to plan which movies I'd record over the course of that viewing period. A new store opened up below my apartment and I got a little swoony over the idea of being able to buy a new coffee service and having to walk not more than fifty steps to do it.

One break that I won't really care for having is my break with Bixente the iPod. He won't me making the trip with me as I tend to pack only the bare minimum and I'll likely be too busy to mess with him much anyway. But until then he'll be shuffling for me faithfully each Friday.

Hit it, fella.
  1. High - Lighthouse Family
  2. Chelsea Dagger - The Fratellis
  3. I Gotcha - Joe Tex
  4. Sgt. Rock (Is Going To Help Me) - XTC
  5. Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
  6. Till Victory - Patti Smith
  7. The Outdoor Type - The Lemonheads
  8. In A Big Country - Big Country
  9. The Six Teens - Sweet
  10. Hang Fire - Rolling Stones
Anticipate a great weekend, y'all.

Labels:

14Comments:

Blogger The Lone Beader® said...

You always list cool songs! Love the Stones:)

Also, thanks for recommending my blog on that Gumbo site...I appreciate your kind words=:)

4:45 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

Yeah, your excitement is contagious.

5:29 AM  
Blogger sari said...

I really wish I could come see you!!!

I love #10 - what a way to end the shuffle.

Have a great and giddy weekend!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Dixie we need to *talk* I may be able to fly to see you in October. Where would I go? Memphis?

Maybe I'll get Purplepassion to come with me...I need details so I can start planning.

6:31 AM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

I completely understand your delirium. I bought six pairs of shoes for myself while in the US. That, for me, is a record. Try BORN shoes, if you never have. They're fantastic.
Most of us ex-pats here in Jordan would give our right arms to be able to shop or live in Germany for a little while. It's all relative, isn't it?
I believe, however, you might faint when you see the cereal aisle in any given grocery store in the states. It's just mind-blowing.
Here's to a great upcoming vacation!

8:58 AM  
Blogger JEANNETTE said...

This has nothing to do with today's post, but as I was doing my weekly shopping yesterday and walked past the € 3.79 jars of Hellmann's mayo (small jars of course!)in the American section I thought of you. :-)

I envy you your trip to the states - I haven't been back in 5 years!!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I wish I could see you while you are on this side of the pond, also. The good news is, I know you'll have a fabulous time and you'll tell us all aobut it when you get back! Don't forget to wave at me as you fly over!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

How far is your Mississippi town from Mobile? Your not packing Bixente? I can't be parted from my iPod. I used to take a portable cd player and a bunch of cds; now I only have to take the iPod -- it's so much less weight. :)

10:07 PM  
Blogger hexe said...

The anticipation is almost as exciting as the trip. Enjoy the next two months!

11:31 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Big Country were a great Scotish band. Incidently Mrs H and I were in Magdeburg last week for a medical appointment. We are really taken with the place, not sure why but we really like the place :)

12:29 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

LB - Was glad to give you the plug!

Marsha - You now know a lot of why I dig being in Mississippi.

Sari - I'd love to see you too but you're gonna have a lot on your plate when I'm there.

Hilda - Thing is, the "visiting weekend" is always very disorganized and fluid. I don't organize anything so it's all sort of played by ear. I'll probably be in Memphis on the 20th - if you're in Memphis too we can hook up for lunch.

UmmFarouq - Going to the cereal aisle is one of my favorite things to do when I'm there - they seem to add so many over the years I'm absent.

Jeannette - Ooo! You have Hellmann's in your American section! I have to order my supply from some online company in Düsseldorf. Our American food section in our Karstadt is heavy on barbecue sauce, PopTarts and Oreos. They're lousy with Oreos.

Maria - You know I'm totally gonna wave as I fly over!

Katya - I'm waaay on the other end of the state from the gulf coast. Way up in NE Mississippi, about 2 miles from the Tennessee state line. I could probably take Bixente but honestly, when I'm there I love listening to the radio. It's something I miss living here - I only listen to British Armed Services radio here - but it does keep me up on British bands!

Hexe - The anticipation and dreaming of what I'll buy in the US with a weak US dollar is what I really love!

Haddock - Big Country still is a band...they're supposed to be on tour this year. And you know, Magdeburg does have it's own charm. It's not glamorous but I like it.

9:40 PM  
Blogger The DP said...

Please tell me you are flying Northwest, I just had the worst trip on Delta.

Other than that, I am so excited for you. I completely forgot about refills, you know? And portion size. I went to a restaurant hungry and I still couldn't finish.

All the stuff you will eat, yum. Memphis yum. Memphis best city ever. I didn't get to go this trip but I am so happy for you. If I went to Memphis I would eat and buy lip gloss and go to Burke's books. And then eat some more. And then go to Target.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Oh I always fly KLM/Northwest - they have the most direct flights for me - I have to change planes only in Amsterdam.

I'm going to eat myself silly when I'm back home. That's so sad to say but I'll do it.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that you will get a bit of a vacation. Eat some BBQ for me!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home