http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: My Ever After

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, July 30, 2007

My Ever After

Today, July 30th, isn't my wedding anniversary. Tomorrow, July 31st, is. Same day as Harry Potter's birthday. We didn't pick that day to get married because of Harry Potter. B and I picked that date because it was the Saturday that the Standesamt (what is essentially the bureau that handles marriages) was performing weddings. We'd originally picked July 24th and had even gone ahead and had our wedding rings inscribed with the date 24.07.99 before we found out that date wasn't open. I wore for years a wedding ring with the wrong date engraved inside, it driving me nuts the entire time, until on our 5th wedding anniversary when B bought me a new wedding ring with the correct wedding date inside.

While this isn't the anniversary of our wedding, July 30, 1999 is still special to me. While many brides spend the day before their wedding as nervous wrecks, I spent mine completely relaxed. Everything was in place for the big day - our wedding clothes, food, transportation, music...if we needed it to get married, it was in hand. All I needed was a good night's sleep and a good hair day the next day. I got neither one - too excited for the former and too unskilled at handling my new hairstyle for the latter - but none of it ended up mattering in the least. What mattered was how I felt on July 30th.

July 30th is the anniversary of the one and only time I was anticipating doing something and having absolutely no second thoughts, no doubts, no fears and no regrets. It was the one time when I knew my decision was 100% correct. I knew before we married our how our marriage would be. It was the one time when I had full confidence in myself and what I was about to do and it was such a liberating feeling.

I certainly never had such a feeling on the eve of my first wedding. I spent that day in dread and wished I could have gotten out of it without my mother pinching my head off for it. I wish I'd had that feeling of confidence on the eve of that wedding. No one should get married with an unsettled feeling.

The day before I married B was such a good day. All day we talked about how our dream was finally coming true and that we couldn't wait to get started on our married life. We talked about how we truly felt as though we were marrying the person who was perfect for us and we wished and prayed that we would have many happy years together. Both of us knew that no matter what the future would bring, we'd see it through together and that being together was the only option for us.

And now eight years later I feel even happier than I did on the eve of our wedding if for no other reason that I know I was right. I know beyond any doubt that marrying B was the right thing to do and that even if I make no other right decisions in my life, at least I got the most important one right.

I love you, my darling. Without end. Without limits. Without a doubt.

Happy anniversary.

Labels:

16Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of the day Kim stole Burkhard from me. I will wear black tomorrow (yes, I tend to wear black tomorrow, but it WILL be symbolic!).

Damn, they are such a cute and wonderful couple I can't stay jealous and bitter. It is true- those two are perfect for each other and I have been privy to witnessing the adoration they share daily. For a single gal it validates all hope that there are good people out there and true love is alive and well.

Happy anniversary to two of my all time favorite people. I love you both more every year and I am so grateful that you are in my life. You are a shining example of love and fidelity.

Love you both
D-Mollie

10:30 PM  
Blogger J said...

"It was the one time when I knew my decision was 100% correct."

Wow. I don't think I've ever had one of those times. Yet.

Congrats to both of you!

11:18 PM  
Blogger hexe said...

Congrats and thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

What a wonderful story! That gives me hope for me someday in the future. :)

1:02 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

Happy pre-anniversary!

2:32 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Dixie...what a wonderful post and what a wonderful feeling for you!

I know how you feel. November 1st will be our 10th anniversary. 10 years! It's so strange - in some ways it feels like it was just last year and in others it's hard to remember my life without him. Does that happen to you too?

Have a wonderful, happy day. You both are incredibly blessed.

Thank goodness Al Gore invented the Internet! ;)

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Dixie! All the best and many years of happiness for the two of you.
On the day of my first wedding, as I was entering the church, my thought was "well, it's too late to back out now". And, like you, on the eve of my second (and last) wedding, I had no doubts. I knew I was doing the right thing. I even had a great night's sleep.
Now it's 20 years later (August 22), and we are still very happy and sure that we did the right thing. Some of the passion might be gone, since we are getting on in years, but the love and concern for each other are still as strong as ever. I feel very lucky!

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I'm new to this blogging thing, so I would be pleased if you check out my blog.

6:21 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Happy Anniversary Dixie and B! You guys make such a sweet couple.

9:51 AM  
Blogger dkaz said...

Congratulations! You certainly do inspire hope that someone like me (divorced and mid-forties) might be able to find a true mate and true happiness in marriage someday. Best of luck for many future happy anniversaries!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so happy for both of you and we've never even met.

Happy anniversary! and many many more!

7:28 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

Happy Anniversary, you two wonderful people! I don't know know what life would be like without you guys in it. I thought of you two early this morning and wished you a fantastic day. MWAH!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great morning. I head over to Betsy's and she's celebrating an anniversary with such sweet words about her hubby, I come here and bam! The sun is shining, it's going to be warm and wonderful and love is in the air. It doesn't get much better than that. Congrats to you and B on your upcoming anniversary. :)

9:42 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

A tribute doesn't get any better than this, Dixie! I am so happy for the two of you, totally believing every word you said.

CONGRATULATIONS!

6:35 PM  
Blogger melusina said...

I hope you had a great anniversary!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

Happy belated anniversary, Sweet Dix!

I love "hearing" you describe your love for B, because they so often echo the feelings I have for M, and I love the thought that others are as happy together as we are. :)

There's nothing like being married to your best friend. ~beege

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home