http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Halfway Yarn Talk

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Halfway Yarn Talk

No knitting projects photos to show but the theme today is still about knitting so it's just semi-yarn today.

I'm still working on the Pink Ribbon Socks that I donated for Boob-Ha-Ha. I've ripped it back for the third time now because I wasn't pleased with how some of the cables looked on my second try. I'm honestly trying to make this sock, if not the best sock I've ever knit, at least one of the best socks. While I'm used to knitting for friends, this is a bit different. This time it's not a sock going to a friend and even more to the point, it's a pair of socks someone has paid for. I realize that technically the person who's getting the socks really is making a donation to the Susan G. Komen Foundation and the socks are more or less the impetus to donate but still, if someone is going to make a generous donation based upon them receiving in return something they wish to have, I want what they receive to be really nice, hence me ripping this yarn threadbare. No worries - I happen to have a pantload of this same yarn. So as of right now I don't have any new knitting to show you except half a cuff. When I have to rip something back, I generally have to rip it all the way back to the absolutely beginning.

You know I'm looking forward to my trip to Mississippi in October and one of the big reasons I'm looking so forward to it is that I'm having a girls weekend with some friends of mine while I'm there. I am so loved by these women that they're coming to Mississippi from all around the US to see me for forty-eight hours. We shop and eat and talk and laugh and shop some more and one of the things I'm looking forward to doing is knitting with them. Not all of them knit but what's great about knitting is that when you're just sitting around and grooving on the great vibe and talking from the heart you can still knit. Poppy will be there and she knits and seeing her with needles in hand working on a project is something I really want to see in person. I'm looking forward to going to yarn shops with them and picking out new sock yarn - the non-knitters picking out what they want me to turn into socks for them. I hope I'm able to show Poppy and Michele how to knit socks with two circular needles or make short row heels if they haven't already learned by then because some of what's so magic about knitting is teaching it to others. I have a bond with all the ladies who will be there and the extra bond I have with the knitters is an added joy.

Do you have something in common with your close friends that creates an even deeper bond? Something you share each time you get together? Tell me what it is because I can't help but be fascinated by people who have a passion for something and they share that passion with people they're close with.

Labels: ,

2Comments:

Blogger hexe said...

I have a group of friends from high school that our common denominator is that we attended high school together - there is no other common factor. Every year for twenty years since we graduated we get together at Christmas. We are so different but those stupid high school stories continue to keep us together.

9:26 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

OMG, I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to that trip and knitting. I have actually learned to knit socks on two circs (whoohoo!) but now I want to learn to do both socks at the same time. You can teach me that.

As for ripping back three times, don't feel bad. I'm working on a pair of socks for me and I've ripped them back to the beginning three times. And each time it has been because I've dropped stitches and can't get them back correctly. ARGH!

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home