http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Want to Make Spanish Rice?

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Want to Make Spanish Rice?

The alternative title for this post could be "Nothing of any significance happened today and so you'll get to see me making supper and admit it, you were looking for something to do with that ground beef in your fridge anyway".

I like to have all of my ingredients ready to go before starting to cook because once you get going it's hard to stop to open a can or measure out spices.

To make Spanish rice with ground beef you'll need:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


A cup of uncooked long grain parboiled rice. A pound of ground beef. Two cans of chopped stewed tomatoes. A chopped bell pepper. Use whatever color bell pepper you wish. Green looks prettiest but tastes the worst to me. Red tastes best but doesn't show up as well. Pick your priorities. I used an orange bell pepper because the guys at the produce stand I frequent said they were the freshest they had. They sing along to Johnny Cash and the Clash while hawking vegetables - they wouldn't steer me wrong. You'll also need a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of chili powder and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Use more if you want. I'm married to a German (read: a man who can take only so much spice) so I get limited to how much cayenne I get to throw in. Not pictured is the small chopped onion you'll also need. For this dish I often will wimp out and use dehydrated chopped onion from a jar and I didn't want you to know that.

Ummmm....yeah. Okay. Moving along now.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Heat three tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat - in this case I used olive oil - and add your rice. And stir. And stir. Keep stirring. It'll seem pointless and a waste of time at first but if you don't keep that rice moving it'll fling itself out of the pan once it gets hot.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


After six or seven minutes or so the rice will turn a nice golden brown and that's when you'll appreciate having all of your ingredients handy because those grains of rice will be getting very sassy and starting their escape from the pan.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Add your ground beef keep stirring it to get it all broken up well.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


When the ground beef is about halfway browned add your bell pepper...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


...and your jarred dehydrated onion succulent and freshly chopped onion.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


When the beef is completely browned add the two cans of tomatoes and your spices and stir it up well. It'll be bubbling like a madman by now so cover the pan, turn the heat down to low and allow it all to cook for 25 minutes. Don't lift the lid and check on it - just let 'er go. Take that 25 minutes and do something else. Change the laundry. Watch the news. Knit. Read a couple chapters in that book you've been meaning to get back to reading. Or prepare the rest of what you'll be serving.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


After the 25 minutes, remove the skillet from the heat and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes with the lid still on the pan.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Mmmmm...supper's ready!

You can serve this as a main dish (it makes about 4 servings) or as a side if you're having something else like cheese enchiladas or bean burritos or quesadillas. Another alternative to this dish would be to prepare it as above but omit the bell pepper as use as the filling for stuffed peppers with your favorite sort of sauce.

Ahhhh...I'm full now...how about you?

Hope something comes up tomorrow for me to write about or you'll be subjected to a pictorial guide to how I wash windows.

Labels:

12Comments:

Blogger J said...

Where on earth did you find real ground beef in Germany? Is it disguised under a German name of some kind?

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J, I believe it's Gehacktes. At least that's what I remember from 46+ years ago.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I usually just buy it at Kaufland where I normally shop but you can get it at the butchers too. Just tell them you want some Rinderhackfleisch...they'll just shove a roast down the grinder for you...they do it for me. I've also bought it at Lidl and Marktkauf.

11:11 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Yummers! That beats Hamburger Helper any day. If we're having guests and I've just put on my make-up I use those dehydrated onions too (my kids love them and eat them right out of the jar!) because real ones make me CRY. :-)

And yep, we can get Rinderhack no problem at our local Edeka and Plus markets.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

YUMMY!! That's it!We're having Spanish rice for dinner tonight!!

By the way, how do you do that cross-out thing on Blogger?

Carol

1:28 AM  
Blogger Martina said...

J - as previous commenters have pointed out, ground beef is readily available in Germany. Aldi even carries it in the "fresh meats" section, and if all else fails go to the meat counter and ask for xxx grams of Rinderhackfleisch, I promise you won't get funny looks :-)

I just can't get used to ground pork, either, not even the 50%-pork/50%-beef that some Germans seem to prefer.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Oh yeah - I can't eat pure ground pork at all. It's way too rich for me and makes me a bit queasy. I almost always use regular ground beef for all my ground meat needs but I confess to sometimes using 50%-pork, 50%-beef when I make Buletten/Frikadellen. Tell me, do you personally say Buletten or Frikadellen? We're in an area where they're called Buletten.

Carol - to do the crossed out writing thing use strike and /strike between <>. Sorry, Blogger won't allow me to use that command in comments.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

LOVELY! I'm in Miami and you taught me how to make Spanish rice all the way over from Germany. Wassup with that!? But cool Thanks! I've been staring at packs of ground meat and chicken cutlets making the same things for weeks and am bored to tears. Here's something new- GREAT!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Martina said...

Dixie: around here they're called Frikadellen.

What do you call meat loaf where you are? It's Hackbraten here, but I've also heard Falscher Hase.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Mahala said...

That looks so good! I recently took a bunch of pictures to demonstrate how to make instant grits that taste like they're from scratch, but I lost interest. I like your cooking post much better :)

5:05 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

[Thud] That was your friend from a rice growing state falling over because her friend uses parboiled rice. [vbg]

It looks delicious. Made me hungry for something more substantial than that salad I just ate.

I bet it would be great with some cilantro added at just the last minute. Mmmmmmmmmmmm...

7:22 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Martina - I say Hackbraten but my husband and my MIL sometimes say Falscher Hase. You see it on menus here that way a good part of the time.

Mahala - I'd actually like to see how anyone could improve instant grits!

Shoeless One - I use what they have here, bebe...I use what they have. :)

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home