http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Marathon of Irk

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Marathon of Irk

I'm more than halfway through my twenty-four hours of having my blood pressure taken every fifteen minutes. Unfortunately I believe this contraption hates me and wants to make me miserable.

When I first was hitched up to this gear I was told to be as still as I could while it was doing its thing - you know...don't be waving my arms around or be putting on clothes during it. I heeded the instructions but when the beeper would go off to tell me it was about to get going it would pump up a bit, an error signal would go off and the cuff would deflate and then three or four minutes later it would try again and that time it would work. Nice. That means I get annoyed by this thing twice as often. Then around 6:00pm I had to turn B on his side for his dermatologist to see an healing wound on his leg and ever since then it no longer takes a full measurement - only the pumping up halfway and then an error signal. All I can think is that the cuff isn't making good contact with my pulse point and so it gets an error message.

It's on night mode right now so it only goes off every half hour. I don't know if it's taken enough measurements to be any good to the doctor but every time I looked at what my blood pressure was, it wasn't good. Stuff like 185/120. Yikes.

Labels: ,

3Comments:

Blogger Rositta said...

Doesn't sound like much fun. I get mine next week (waiting lists in Canada) but I thought it was every hour at night? Can you try some relaxation exercise, deep breathing or yoga? That might help bring it down, stress is a killer...be good.

2:10 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

That would totally raise my blood pressure. When I broke down and took my scared butt to the doctor a month or so ago to figure out what was wrong with me, my blood pressure was through the window. I think I was having a panic attack. It went back down. I am sending prayers and good wishes that the evil contraption does not give you palpitations.

5:30 AM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

Take care of yourself. We want you around.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home