http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Midpoint

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Midpoint

I'm at that point in my Christmas preparations where I'm losing some of my enthusiasm. I liken it to when I take a road trip. I love the first part where I'm all excited about embarking my trip and I'm anticipating all the fun. I love the end where I reach my destination. However about halfway into the trip I begin to lose my initial enthusiasm. The scenery isn't catching my attention and I'm tired of nasty highway rest stops and I can't get shit on the radio that isn't Oak Ridge Boys-ish or a farm report. It passes soon enough but in the meantime it's hard not to just pull over and say "Screw it!".

I'm now down to the boring, on-the-verge-of-being-annoying Christmas shopping. The stuff I need to pick up for our doctors and B's physiotherapist and assorted extended family. I always feel quite clueless when doing this bit of shopping. I set out hoping to be inspired by seeing some sort of clever gift idea but usually end up buying something that just won't be out-and-out embarrassing to present them. Today it was shopping for our family doctor (Two silk scarves and a box of Lindt chocolates. My prediction? She'll regift the scarves but eat the chocolates.) and for B's dermatologist (A bottle of Vueve Clicquot champagne) and all I could really think about is getting home and curling up on the sofa because right now my stomach has been extra wonky. I can't even drink tea without it giving me stomach cramps. I don't have time for sofa curling though because I still need to do some gift shopping, have to get groceries, and find somewhere to store my yucca palm so I can get my Christmas tree up. I hate that yucca palm. I'd saw it in half and chuck it in the biodegradable trash bin except my MIL bought it for me for my birthday three years ago. Stupid tree. The leaves are always stabbing me.

It's just the mid-season whine mixed in with a hefty dose of stomach virus. By the time the weekend rolls around and I decorate my tree and completely plan out my Christmas baking I'll be more enthusiastic. Hope my stomach gets better soon though because for every day I have a wonky stomach I am missing an opportunity to have crispy fish as the Christmas market.

Labels: ,

4Comments:

Blogger Significant Snail said...

You know, if you like that plant it would have died immediately! Good job on your shopping, though - your're way ahead of me!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. I hear you. I`ve hit the same point without really starting anything. I`m just not into it at all this year. BUT - good for you for powering through. And bloody hell - kill the damn tree already!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I'm sorry your not feeling well. I'm sure the stress isn't helping your tummy.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

Do what I did! Put it away! I put all the decorations away that I hadn't put up, I am going to spend this weekend getting everything that ABSOLUTELY has to be done done, and then the last week is for me to just ENJOY IT!

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home