100 Things About Dixie - Part III
Darling Mollie is amused no end by my previous lists of 100 things about me so as a treat for her and to commemorate my 47th birthday, here's the third (and final) list.
1. I don't like laying around all day in my pajamas. If someone calls and says "Let's go out to lunch" then all I want to have to do is grab my purse.
2. As a small child I didn't understand the idea that Kimberley was my whole first name. I was always called Kim so I thought the "berley" part was my middle name.
3. I wasn't given a middle name when I was born so number 2 isn't completely illogical for a four year old to believe.
4. Chocolate drink preferences in this order: Ovaltine, Bosco, Hershey's Syrup. Nesquik doesn't get a vote because of its lousy ability to dissolve completely. YooHoo is simply chocolate colored water.
5. If you look very closely at my high school senior portrait you'll see that I plucked one of my eyebrows so thin it's plucked clean in half.
6. I never eat in bed. The idea of breakfast in bed repulses me. Even while hospitalized I had to get up and eat sitting in a chair.
7. I only like McDonald's hamburgers for the itty bitty reconstituted onions on them.
8. I'd rather have my home electronics stolen than to have any of my Christmas ornaments lost.
9. I prefer to write with gel pens.
10. I wear lipstick all the time but hate lip balm unless I have chapped lips.
11. When I wear glasses, they're almost always smeary within ten minutes of putting them on.
12. I go to the zoo a few times a year but it always depresses me a bit.
13. I can barely remember how life was before I had Hungarian salami.
14. I like drinking at outdoor cafes but I would rather be indoors if I'm planning on eating anything.
15. I used to adore Claudio Pizarro but he broke my heart.
16. My first iPod is named Bixente. He's named after Bixente Lizarazu.
17. My current iPod is named Fletcher. He's named after one of my cousins.
18. I've seen Bixente Lizarazu more recently and perhaps more often than I have my cousin Fletcher.
19. I love filling out questionnaires. One of my greatest joys was my father letting me fill out our 1980 census because it was the long form.
20. I was terribly disappointed when in 1990 I got only the short form.
21. Bitter resentment remains now that I will never again get to fill out a US census form.
22. What I remember most about taking the ACT in high school was that I was terribly sick during the test and would have to go out and throw up during the breaks.
23. Still got a good enough score on it to get a little scholarship from of the universities to which I applied.
24. I'd rather deal with taking care of a pet than take care of houseplants.
25. As soon as I get on an airplane I set my watch to the time at my destination.
26. I have in my bathroom four different brands of shampoo and conditioner, all with different scents.
27. Using one brand of shampoo and another brand of conditioner is completely out of the question.
28. I cried when my mother sold her house and threw away the nearly thirty-five year old set of encyclopedias. I hadn't read each volume from cover to cover but I was close.
29. The most frequently used name of the women from whom I'm descended? Martha. Of the men? William.
30. If I could have any dress in the world I would have the first dress that Grace Kelly wears in Rear Window.
31. When I was a kid I used to bite off the plastic tipped ends of my mother's bobby pins.
32. I also would gnaw on the kohl wood furniture we had in the family room.
33. Evidently I needed more fiber in my diet. And petroleum products.
34. Chocolate drink preferences in this order (Part II): chocolate milkshake, chocolate malted milk, chocolate milk. YooHoo is still being shunned.
35. When I'm at home I like to drink my water from plastic cups.
36. Once I became an adult I couldn't wait to be summoned for jury duty.
37. I was very envious when my ex-husband got summoned for jury duty.
38. I was even more bummed out when he got selected to serve but the case was settled out of court.
39. When did I finally get summoned for jury duty? A year after I moved to Germany.
40. There was a time when I would not speak on the phone with strangers because it made me nervous.
41. If I snap my fingers my dog will stop what she's doing and come to me.
42. It wigs me out a bit that in Germany taxi drivers generally expect you to sit in the front seat.
43. The Lincoln Memorial at night is one of my favorite places in the world to be.
44. Jukeboxes are irresistible to me.
45. I always wanted Flintstones chewable vitamins when I was a kid. We got stuck with boring One-a-Day.
46. My favorite dress when I was in the first grade was a pink one my mother made. It was sewn from a Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang themed pattern.
47. The first movie I ever saw in a theater was Mary Poppins. The second was The Sound of Music.
48. Once when I had a sinus infection I had a fever so high that I became disoriented and was lost in my own house.
49. Being tipsy is fine. Being drunk weirds me out.
50. The contents of my dresser drawers looks like it's been stirred with a stick but everything in my wallet and purse must always be in its proper place.
51. I wish I could ice skate well despite the fact that I have never truly enjoyed any time I was ice skating.
52. Every home I've lived in since 1968 has had a front that faced east and a back that faced west.
53. Whenever I fly I always drink tomato juice.
54. If I see you using a kitchen knife with your index finger extended over the blade I may be very tempted to take that knife and use it on you.
55. I have a campaign button for every Democratic presidential nominee since Jimmy Carter.
56. At one time all German sounded the same to me but now I can recognize various regional accents.
58. I envy people who can sketch.
59. There are maybe five poems that I like. Otherwise poetry bores the daylights out of me.
60. Chocolate drink preference (Part III): I've never had an egg cream but I have had chocolate sodas and they're disgusting. Like a YooHoo that fizzes.
61. Dixie cups seem like a waste of paper to me. Don't want to spread germs? Wash the glass when you're finished with it!
62. I'm terrible at selling anything because I am afraid of people telling me no. I couldn't even sell Girl Scout cookies because I was too scared to ask people if they'd like to buy them. Who in the world couldn't sell even one box of Girl Scout cookies?
63. I have shorter than normal pinky fingers.
64. I also have a larger than normal head.
65. And I have a small mouth and large eyes.
66. All things indicate that I'm actually an alien from outer space.
67. I prefer the word see-saw over teeter-totter.
68. I love the sound of a Zippo lighter being opened, lit, and then the lid being snapped shut again.
69. Wearing mittens freaks me out.
70. My fingers suffer from claustrophobia.
71. In my kitchen is a photograph of me and my friend, Lisa, eating a Dairy Queen peanut buster parfait sundae.
72. And a photograph of a grinning nun.
73. And a photograph of of a grinning sock monkey.
74. I have wine glasses that my MIL gave me on my wedding day. My MIL, on her wedding day, received them from her grandmother. And my MIL's grandmother originally received them on her wedding day.
75. They've never been used by anyone ever.
76. Whenever I see a swing set I'm always tempted to walk over and give them a go.
77. Before I moved to Europe you never would have been able to convince me that my three favorite sports to watch would be soccer, biathlon and team handball.
78. The first film I ever saw in a theater without one of my parents being present was The Poseidon Adventure.
79. I tell that little fact to my husband every single time I see that film being shown on television.
80. I pronounce the word "nostepinne" as "nos-te-pin-eh".
81. I predict that you're now saying "What in the hell is a "nostepinne"?
82. I dislike for my hands to be wet so washing dishes is quite an adventure for me.
83. Having to hold a piece of paper in my mouth, even for a moment, is a sure way to trigger my gag reflex.
84. I love driving over bridges. I could be one of those folks who people with gephyrophobia hire to drive them over bridges.
85. It's almost impossible for me to say no to my nieces and nephews. And they know it.
86. One of the more horrifying experiences of my life: wearing a strapless bra under a chiffon bridesmaid dress.
87. Best Flintstones episode ever: when Fred buys a stolen piano for Wilma for their wedding anniversary.
88. I love hearing stories about my husband's grandmother, Oma Friedchen.
89. Fly, do not test my patience. I virtually never miss when armed with a flyswatter.
90. I plant geraniums in my flower boxes each year which is somewhat amazing since I can't stand for dirt to be on my hands.
91. Two things I would indulge in if I were a multi-millionaire: travel and custom tailored clothes.
92. The only two rules about ice hockey I'm fairly certain about is that the puck has to go in the goal and it's not right to slap your opponent in the face with your stick. Otherwise I'm not too sure about how it all works.
93. I collect antique keys.
94. I use my cell phone as an alarm clock more than I use it as a telephone.
95. Every time I hear that someone loves Kraft Macaroni and Cheese I feel relieved that there's one other person out there who's willing to admit it.
96. I never knew how gruesome many Brothers Grimm fairy tales are until I read them in original German.
97. When watching the final credits in a film I have to look at who the catering company was to see if they have some clever, pun-based name.
98. My husband detests for me to snap my fingers around him. He's threatened to chew off my hands if I tease him with it.
99. I can go up on an escalator but I avoid going down on one unless I have absolutely no other choice.
100. I live on Broadway.