http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Witness to History

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Witness to History

I'm not a good enough writer to be able to express how the inauguration of Barack Obama as president of the United States has touched me. There are so many feelings and emotions tied to this event that words don't seem adequate enough. Still I have to say that I feel so honored, so lucky that I was able to witness the event. I saw it. I know what happened because I watched it happen.

There are so many great events in history that very few ever witnessed. We know about it from books and perhaps there are photographs or paintings depicting the event but few people were there to see it happen. One of the greatest advantages of technology is that it brings us together and joins people from around the world and we're now able to witness history in a way that never would be possible without it. Watching the inauguration of the first African-American president of the United States was deeply touching and it was even more meaningful knowing that friends and family from around the world were able to see and experience it with me. For the rest of our lives no one will be able to take that away from us nor take away the emotions it stirred in us.

I'm so proud of my homeland. I'm so hopeful and optimistic for her future. I feel that one day when we reflect back on when the United States began on her new path of greatness we'll be able to point to this day as its beginning. And we're going to be able to say we were witness to it.

May God bless President Obama and guide him as he leads our nation. May God bless us all.

2Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. Well said.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I couldn't agree more, my friend.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home