http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: The design says it all

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

The design says it all

Expat Traveler loves pictures and really loves pictures of the places we live so I'm obliging her today. I will also ask that she pray that my new recharger for my camera arrives tomorrow because I've squeezed out the last bit of power I had in the last battery pack.

What had me out on a cloudy, cool Sunday afternoon was the chance to see the World Cup trophy in person. It's currently on tour and today it was at the Magdeburger Domplatz along with games and exhibitions by sponsors of the Cup. I wanted B to come with me but I couldn't find a soul to help me get him into his wheelchair.

Image hosting by Photobucket

My token photo of the Magdeburger Dom. I must have over a hundred photos of this cathedral. I take one every time I'm near it and my camera is with me.

Before you see the trophy you get to see an eight minute 3D film depicting the "creation" of the trophy and then footage of previous World Cups - the ones since this particular trophy has been in use. The music was loud and thrilling and the film did just what it set out to do - get you hepped up for the tourament to begin. Afterwards you come out, line up, stand on an X with your hands down, get your photo snapped and you're on your way. No time to study the trophy and they don't let you very near it anyway.

Image hosting by Photobucket

I look ten years older in the photo than I am but the trophy is pretty!

The crowds were less than I had expected but the kids were having fun.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Goaleo the mascot was there but I got the hell out of there before I had to listen to Love Generation one more time.

Image hosting by Photobucket

On the way home I took a few photos of the Grüne Zitadelle designed by Hundertwasser. I have a love/hate thing with this building. While I can appreciate it's unique design, I don't care for where it's located.

From the outside:

Image hosting by Photobucket

From one of the courtyards:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Also in one of the courtyards:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Everything is sloping and round and uneven. B and I considered briefly moving there last fall but the design would have made me crazy. I do like, however, how the shops in the courtyards are open. I'm not sure how they get around the "Got to be closed on Sunday" law but maybe it's because this place is a hotel as well as an apartment building.

Image hosting by Photobucket

A photo of Kloster Unser Lieben Frauen snapped just as I was about to jump on a streetcar. It's the oldest building in Magdeburg and another building of which I have dozens of photos.

All worth a dead camera battery.

9Comments:

Blogger Marshamlow said...

That was a lot of fun, like being there with you. So glad you used up the last of your battery.

1:19 AM  
Blogger threecollie said...

Great pictures, well worth a camera battery. I stopped by to visit another victim of a certain reviewer and am glad that I did. Nice blog, don't change a thing!

3:08 AM  
Blogger ninjapoodles said...

I totally LOVE that freaky pink Dr. Seuss building! Thank you so much for sharing!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

And I was just looking at Magdeburg in my Germany Eyewitness Travel Guide the other day! You gave me much more info in this post! I also read yesterday about the golden-colored ball that will be used at the final match of the soccer World Cup on July 9th in Berlin. Did I tell you that we have tickets to the Italy-Ghana game here in Hannover on June 12, the day before my birthday? I swear, Donica has Magic growing all over her these days!

8:24 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Excellent pictures! I was going to say the same thing as Belinda - that building is totally Dr. Seuss.

Hope the recharger gets there on time!

8:35 AM  
Blogger christina said...

just testing

2:07 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

So, the World Cup's on display in Germany, eh? How strange, on a tour, or something [slapping head with both hands] oh yeah, aren't you having a little tournament over there sometime soon? That'll be why the World Cup is in Germany. I can be so stupid sometimes.

It's a shame no one came to help so B could come and see it too. Where's Wolfie when you need him? I love having the photos of your world, so engaging. If I had a camera I could work (there are two right in front of me!) I'd copy your ideas. We have a slightly Seussy building!

6:51 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Me again - Just yesterday there was actually an article in our local paper with a picture of the pink building saying it was a great "Ausflugsziel".

9:12 AM  
Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

I'm always amazed at the history surrounding you. And all that we have here is soooo NEW!
Pink buildings are the best, I've seen them in New Mexico as well...always fun to stumble across. Such happy little buildings.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home