http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Friday Shuffle - Bad Vibes Edition

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Friday Shuffle - Bad Vibes Edition

You can start the day with all good intentions and have it hit the ground in flames before you even get going good.

Mine started when I raised the window shades in the livingroom. I was anticipating glorious sunshine streaming in but what greeted my eyes first were the two huge cracks running through my plate glass window.

Shiiiiiiiiiit!

The window is pretty big - about a meter across and a little over two meters long. On the right side of the window approximately in the middle right where the window meets the rubber seal the cracks begin - two cracks starting from the same point. Long, swooping cracks. One goes across and then curves down and the other dips lower and then curves across, threatening to meet up with the other crack. There wasn't an impact anywhere - it's just some sort of stress break. B said he heard something while he was sleeping - a sort of loud pop - but he figured someone dropped something on the floor above us.

Of course this has happened on a holiday. Tomorrow isn't a holiday but our building super doesn't work on the weekend and then Monday is a holiday as well. I'm hoping the window will stay intact until then. It's double pane glass and the cracked on is the inner pane so should it break further and fall apart I still have a pane of glass between us and the cold spring wind. It's likely going to be drawn out repair job though. Since it's double pane glass with a vacuum seal inbetween they can't just replace the single pane of glass and the whole thing - frame, glass, seal - will have to be replaced.

The day didn't improve from there. Something about that broken glass has let some funk in here because the rest of the day saw B and I snapping at each other and misunderstanding the meaning of everything the other said. By the time I had to leave to go to my MILs for her second birthday party - this one for her cousins and her brother and his wife to attend - I was ready to stuff B into a sack and hang him on a hook somewhere.

I got home from the birthday party to find that my downstairs neighbor was doing his karaoke thing again. I don't know if it's actual karaoke but he sings quiet loudly and he does it for hours. It's not that it's loud because compared to the hellish neighbors at my old apartment he's a silent movie. It's the fact that this guy can't sing for toffee. Everything come out as a horrible, tuneless warble and it works one's nerves to no end.

The day is almost over. Kissing and making up has been done. Karaoke has ended. Window hasn't fallen out of the frame yet. It's time to switch on Bixente the iPod and see what he'll shuffle up for me. Make it good, Bixente...make it good.
  1. I Got Loaded - Los Lobos
  2. I Am A Rock - Simon & Garfunkel
  3. Magic Woman Touch - The Hollies
  4. Every Little Thing - The Beatles
  5. Mr. Brown - Glow
  6. You Belong To Me Now - Candy Butchers
  7. That Song - Big Wreck
  8. Little Sister - Dwight Yoakam
  9. Mensch - Herbert Grönemeyer
  10. Bargan - The Who
I love a reliable iPod.

Hope y'all have a weekend that positively oozes good vibes.

10Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I hope your window stays put until Tuesday. Do you still have some of your packing tape around? I know it sounds dumb but you might be able to tape it up a bit and hold it together.

Stupid window.

Happy Easter!

1:01 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I wonder if you had an earthquake or something? Can you tell I live in the land of the shaking earth? I hope you wake up tomorrow and all is right with the world again. It is weird how bad days seem to have momentum. I am sending you all the best wishes for a great day and great momentum.

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry this had to happen...and sari's right.

Duct tape would be the best, though.

Just be really careful applying it...don't want you cut!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you don't mind how ghetto it's going to look, you could always tape a cardboard box against the window. it'll hold it in place till you can get it fixed and if it rains or is windy it'll keep the glass from blowing into your flat. But I guess you could just put the rollos down for that eh?

glad to hear that the day ended well though :D that's always the best.

8:46 AM  
Blogger JT said...

Oh hell, I say we pimp Dixie's apartment.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

You didn't really stuff B into a sack did you? I believe that sort of behaviour can damage your marital harmony. Fingers crossed for a quick and easy resolution.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, man! Dix' the window stuff stinks, but I think the Karoke is worse. That is only okay when everyone involved is really intoxicated.

7:20 PM  
Blogger JT said...

I'd suggest that you start singing back, sweetie, but you have the sexiest voice this side of anything and the guy downstairs might be tempted to harmonize with you.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Awww. All's well that ends well!

11:13 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Ooog.We had that happen with one of our terrace doors last year when a dark coloured cushion was leaning up against it on the inside and the sun was shining just right. Weird popping noise and a huge crack right through the glass.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home