http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Pages

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Pages

I think most folks have something that speaks to their soul. That certain thing or things that they enjoy that they really get and that really gets them. It's the thing they seek out when they need cheering up or calming down or centering their self. For someone like Poppy, it's music. My friend, Candy, loves film in that way. My friend, Mollie, relates to art and photography. For me it's books. I love music and film and art and technology as well but books are the thing that I seek out when I need that thing to fill my soul. Books are my escape and my entertainment and I've always said that if I have something to read, I'll never be bored.

So it's natural that when Traveller One posted a meme about books, I had to swipe it. By the way, go check out her blog. She's a lovely lady, has lived all over, visted the rest and has great pictures to prove it.

Meme instructions: Look at the list of books below. Bold the ones you've read, italicize the ones you might read, cross out the ones you won't, underline the ones on your book shelf, and place parentheses around (or strike through) the ones you've never even heard of. Extra commentary by me on select novels.

The DaVinci Code
- Dan Brown...Good but not great.
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger...I read this book every year at the holidays.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald...I started it once and just never finished it.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee...One of my alltime favorite books. It gets an annual reread from me as well.
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger...Recommended to me by a lot of friends and lived up to the recommendations.
(His Dark Materials) - Philip Pullman
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling...I heart HP.
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien...Great adventure!
(The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time) - Mark Haddon
Lord of the Flies - William Golding...Junior high isn't complete without reading it.
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin...I own it, now I should finally read it.
1984 - George Orwell
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling...I heart him very much.
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden...A fascinating story.
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold...A difficult read but wonderful.
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut...Classic craziness. I loved it.
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte...Read it so long ago that it would nearly be like a new book to me now.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis...Loved it as a kid, loved it again when I reread it as an adult.
(Middlesex) - Jeffrey Eugenides
(Cloud Atlas) - David Mitchell
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
(Atonement) - Ian McEwan
(The Shadow of the Wind) - Carlos Ruiz Safon
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway...Bored the shit out of me. I'd rather take a slapping than reread this crap.
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood...Started it, never finished it. Same with every other Margaret Atwood book I've ever picked up.
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Dune - Frank Herbert

No tagging but I'll extend an invitation to you literary types to steal it. Especially you, Katya. And you too, Sari. And Brandi, of course, because the law says I must always tag Brandi.

14Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a childish admission that it made me feel so cool to see my name mentioned! SNORTY!

Thanks, Dix.

12:49 AM  
Blogger JT said...

Mr. Fabulous... to stroke out a word or phrase, enter < strike > yourtexthere < / strike >

Just leave out the spaces.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Mark my words, Jake...Mr. Fab will be strikin' like a madman now!

1:56 AM  
Blogger JT said...

LMAO!!! Sounds good to me!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Dixie, you only have good memes, worhtwhile memes that make life better, so I'll be doing this shortly.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Hitchhiker's Guide?? Nutty.

Cloud Atlas was one of my favourite reads of last year. Mind-blowingly good (if weird).

My husband keeps pushing Atonement at me. I'll get around to it.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

I'm glad you liked this Meme and gladder still that you took the time to do it! I am with you on the books- every room in my apartment has books piled up all around and now I double shelve them. Amazon loves me but the Albanian customs probably doesn't!

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know- like Candy, I am just feeling all celebrity being named! I got ink!

I've read:
Pride and Prejudice
Da Vinci Code
To Kill a Mockingbird
Harry Potter
Catcher in the Rye
1984
Lord of the Flies
Animal Farm
Slaughterhouse 5
Lovely Bones
Wuthering Heights
Lion, Witch and Wardrobe
Old man and the Sea
Jane Eyre
Great Gatsby

No interest in Dune, Bell Jar, Hitchhikers Guide, or Handsmaid Tale.

Life of Pi, Atonement and Geisha are on the book shelf

Want to read: Kite Runner

Don't know the rest of them!


Mollie
(Art and Photography Friend)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

As I trust your taste in books, Candace, I'll give Hitchhiker's Guide a whirl. The others too. I'm always open to book recommendations.

9:46 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Aren't books the greatest? I own most of the books on the list, and added the meme to my blog.

I heart Dixie but she's known that for years.

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I'm stealing this. And, Dix, books are my soul, too.

Desert island picks between TV, music, movies or books... hands down I'd choose books without hestitation or regret. As much as I adore movies, music and TV, I'd throw them all out the window for even one book.

4:36 AM  
Blogger jen said...

I second the notion that you have to read "Hitchhiker's Guide". It's hilarious, but my memory of it might be slanted by the fact that I was around 15 when I read it.

However, UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES, read "His Dark Materials", by Philip Pullman. Imagine a Harry-Potter-type book with a tight storyline, but the additional dimension of a model of magic that includes TRUE facts from quantum physics. Of course, they are "spun" a bit, but it is such fun to read a "magic book" that is based on a mutliverse theory and an understanding of real science.

Trust me, it's fantastic. Jen loved it, too.

- sparky

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hitchhiker's *is* funnier when you are 15, but I still recommend it. Especially to anglophiles (I swear I am married to Arthur Dent sometimes...)

His Dark Materials: my husband and loads of people LOVE it. I've only made it through the first book. I don't know why they don't grip me more, as it incorporates just about everything I love, but for some reason...
Definitely still worth a go, though. I'll get around to reading the rest of the series one day.

However, the best English-children-have-an-adventure series is, hands down, Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising. Love it.

Damn, I love books.

1:36 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Jen and Candace, I had commented too about the mindset when reading "Hitchhikers's..." on my blog, but mine involved psychotropic stimulants.

How about a Douglas Adams reading party? I'll bring the brownies.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home