http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Come and Gone

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Come and Gone

What is it about getting much-wanted visitors? You wait and wait for that planned visit, it finally arrives and then the time of their visit flies by at breakneck speed.

And so it's been with my sister and her family. I couldn't wait for them to arrive and once they did, we didn't have time to do everything we wanted to do.

It was a busy visit so I'll try to hit the highlights:
  • Within an hour of their arrival my nephew locked himself in the bathroom and couldn't get the key back in properly to get it unlocked. There's no doubt he and I are related.
  • My sister, not one to be idle, took advantage of the windy, chilly and rainy weather during the first week of their visit and reorganized my bathroom and pantry. We also rearranged furniture and hung pictures. And washed all the crystal. And reorganized my towel cabinet. And the shoes.
  • My BIL put down the outdoor carpet on my balcony and installed an awning.
  • We attended Magdeburg's four-day-long city festival and drank a lot of beer.
  • We discovered that once non-German speaking Americans consume enough beer they're able to sing along with German Volksmusik.
  • We also discovered that it's very good to live 150 meters from the beer tent when it's time to rid oneself of all that beer.
  • We visited Wernigerode and I bought some antique keys that now hang on my balcony. My husband isn't as enchanted with them as I am.
  • Lots of ice cream was consumed.
  • My sister and BIL are beginning to understand our love of soccer.
  • I managed not to cry like a lost child when I left my family at the airport this morning but only because I didn't want to explain it to the driver. At least this one didn't drive like a maniac.
And now for some photo highlights:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The Pfingsten parade that ran in front of my apartment building.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The one-man-band that was playing at the city festival. He appeared to be from somewhere on the North Sea coast.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The Native American flute players at the city festival. They appear to be from North America but the tags on their van say they're from Leipzig.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


My sister and BIL digging on some Weißbier.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


B and I at the beer tent. While I'm holding him tight out of love, I'm also doing it so that I don't topple over.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


My nephew and me. I wasn't holding him so as to not topple over. I was already sitting.

It's all back to normal around here now and even though I miss my family like crazy, there's also something good to be said about getting back to a happy, familiar routine.

14Comments:

Blogger Mikki Marshall said...

Miss Peach, I swear that you cause me to laugh right out loud at times! It sounds like a wonderful time. And how nice of you to give beer rewards once the chores had been completed ;)

9:31 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

What a great update, Dixie, on what sounds like a wonderful visit! I have thought of you often, hoping no news was good news :) Is your sister your twin?! :)

I know what you mean about getting back to normal! I've got a few days' head-start on you, that's all.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Oh no...not my twin, although I suppose she'd like that idea. She's seven years older than me.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

So glad you are back. Sounds like a wonderful visit.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Mahala said...

You look so happy in those pictures. And B is lookin' handsome AND happy :)

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yanno, I didn't even noticed that it was rainy and yuck weatherwise from the photos cos you all looked so happy and sunny anyway :D

Ahem, both B and your nephew both have that "we all know why yer grippin' my shoulder so tightly" look lol

I can't go to any of those tent parties. If I have more than 3 sips of anything.....I'm done and it's embarassing.

However, hanging out with drunk german people is where I learned most of my German......;)

you have such a lovely family :D welcome back!!!

8:17 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Aww, what a great time! I love the pictures.

I used to cry like a baby every time someone left here or we left there. Heck, even my dad cried a couple of times and he NEVER cries. But now we just suck it up and wave and smile like professional leave-takers. :-)

And yes, being drunk can improve your German 100%!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Breathtaking breeze through your visit. Thanks for sharing. I have also found beer helps the speaking of foreign languages. It's probably all about confidence.

How are things in the host nation? I've discovered a great passion for the Brandenburg Gate! Who'd've thought? Watching USA right now. Probably best if you stick to supporting Germany! ;-)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds sooo nice.. I know what you mean about the crying. It seems like it doesn't help anything to cry but it still is so hard to control. Settling back to a routine is nice but it feels kind of empty for a few days.

8:42 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

I was reminded of your one man band photo on Friday night when I took the kiddos to see Disney's "Cars". Pixar always has a short before the movie begins and this one was about two competing one man bands both competing for one little girl's coin. It was funny.

I'm glad y'all had such a great visit. It is good to have you back, though. LOL

9:20 PM  
Blogger Miz said...

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the visit, sounds like they had a good time too.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

I was wondering... would your dear sister mind coming here to organise my house????? Pleeeeease?

Anyhow, sounds like a really wonderful visit!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My sister, not one to be idle, took advantage of the windy, chilly and rainy weather during the first week of their visit and reorganized my bathroom and pantry. We also rearranged furniture and hung pictures. And washed all the crystal. And reorganized my towel cabinet. And the shoes."

:D Yep, Suthenahs! This is what my family and I do everytime we get together, too! *LOL*

Dixie, you and B are so precious together when I saw that photo I had tears in my eyes. You know how when a couple is just *right* they begin to look like each other, and after a while you can't remember one without the other? You and B have arrived at that place. Makes my heart warm. Thanks for sharing these pics!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Wow you and your sister look so alike :)

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home