http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Oasis

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Oasis

I hadn't realized that taking a two week break would cause me to get out of the swing of blogging. Perhaps I'm in one of those post-visit funks and it'll take me a bit to get back into form.

So in the meantime, take a look at my redecorated balcony. It's changed from being the dull place where I stored my mop buckets to a little seating area where I can enjoy the summer weather.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


The stark bare metal floor has been covered with some lovely green outdoor carpeting and I have an awning to block the hot morning sun. I've hung flower boxes from the rail and on an old hostess cart I've put more flower boxes that I used at my old apartment.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was able to take advantage of my MIL no longer having a balcony at her new place and was given her old balcony chairs. Very comfy for knitting alfresco.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This bit of funky art was purchased by me last week when my family and I visited Wernigerode.
Here! Look at a photo of the Rathaus in Wernigerode. It's funky too!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Anyway, I collect antique keys and so when I found this hanging in an off-beat sort of gift shop in the artisan quarter of the town, I had to buy it. B hates it. He thinks hanging rusty antique keys on the balcony to be tacky.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


He does, however, approve of the garden gnome. My sister thought that if I was going to have a garden-like balcony that I needed a garden gnome and so she surprised me with one. He sits peering into the livingroom through the plate glass window holding his little bucket in his little gnomey hand. I think he's hunting for beer. His name is Schweini. B named him after Bastian Schweinsteiger. Antique keys are tacky to him, having a garden gnome named after a midfielder for Bayern-München apparently isn't.

Well...at least Schweini doesn't have some sort of creepy, demented look on his face. He looks friendly. Must be from all the beer in his bucket.

9Comments:

Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Oh how I love this, Dixie, seeing the balcony after you've described it so many times. And I know what you mean about the blogging "out-of-it" feeling. I think I'm still sorting it all out after the cruise.

But as for the "rusty keys," I love them. Art is art is art. You can tell B I said that :) And of course, the gnome is adorable, let alone indispensible.

10:51 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

What an inviting balcony! I can't wait to sit in those chairs and knit with you on a warm afternoon one day, my friend. :-)

11:28 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

Sounds like you are still on a company high. I hope it lasts until they can come again.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ginnie couldn't have said it better. I love the keys and now we have a balcony too and I love your flowers. We are lacking in that department still.

And the out of it, must be catchy because I've got the feeling too...

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's the summer sun and good weather bringing the blogging blahs. It gives you that "what are you doing there in that chair when you could be outside" feeling. Thus far I'm resisting the gnomes with every fiber of my being. I love my home, but I'm just not very gnome friendly. Blame it on R.L. Stine.

11:44 AM  
Blogger leon's life said...

Nice to see your balcony, looks like the perfect place for relaxing in the evening.

11:55 AM  
Blogger christina said...

That really is a little oasis. It looks great - very cozy and peaceful. I'm really digging those keys - very cool. But the garden gnome? We keep ours hidden under the porch. :-)

5:22 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Ok, I'm going to have to be the (almost) lone dissenter and agree with B. The keys are a bit big for me. If they were about half the size, I'd love them, but I keep thinking "Well, that would pack one hell of a wallup if they fell off on someone's head!" ha ha ha

The rest of the porch looks great though, and I love the gnome. You need to take him places and take pictures of him with little cards next to him with sayings on them.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

Those gnomes always remind me of something Twilight Zonish. I think he'd startle me if I caught him looking in my window!

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home