http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: The End of the Whine

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The End of the Whine

So now the pendulum has swung (swang? swinged?) the other direction and we're on the verge of having downright chilly weather. This is why we don't bother with air conditioning, folks! You could shell out for one and a day later it'll be cold enough for you to have to wear a long sleeves and your air conditioner isn't needed again for a few years.

Let me take this moment to pause and send my sympathies to those in the US who are baking to death right now from their own heatwave. As my darling friend, Mollie, put it to me yesterday, "Hell has made DC it's new zip code.". I'm sending cooling thoughts your way. May you be blessed with electricity that stays on and lots of Kool Pops.

Anyway, the change in temperatures has left me refreshed and better rested. I was able to take a nap this afternoon that may have broken all previous records for depth of sleep and amount of drool emitted. Seriously, it was one of those naps that leaves you unable to figure out what day or what time it is after waking up. "Is it Saturday? Wednesday? Is it time to get up? Why am I on the sofa? What time is it? Damn, I have to pee so bad.".

Other than deep sleeping I've been doing all those little things that I tend to slack off with when I'm a sweat covered mess in a heatwave. I changed the ink cartridge in the printer, cleaned out the science projects forgotten leftovers from the refrigerator, including three slices of strawberries and cream cake that was sporting a better beard than my ex-husband had. Plants and flowers were watered, laundry folded and put away and I finished these:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Aren't those cute? I'm sending them to my sister. Of course she's a menopausal woman living in Mississippi in August and really isn't in the market for 100% wool socks, but who can resist handpainted yarn?

If this keeps up I'm going to have a happy slide into autumn.

6Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dixie, you're getting great at socks. Those are flat adorable.

11:16 PM  
Blogger hexe said...

Love the socks - great colors! I know those type of naps - granted, with two small kids they are a distant memory :)

12:19 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

The socks are out of this world, I had never heard of painted yarn, smoking hot. So glad your heat wave has subsided, hope the States get a reprieve soon as well.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Miz said...

Wow! Your socks are getting really good! Those just scream "Spring" to me.

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL @ socks in hot weather.

hey EVERYONE needs socks! :D

and goodness yours are lovely :D I love that colour.

I still haven't gotten round to making the self-striping ones with the kool aid.

all the stuff is sitting around :o\ I should do it this weekend when it's rainy out.

I want to talk about the weather but I'm scared I'll jinx us all back into being overheated!!!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Those socks look really socky (and not sucky). I'm as impressed as a non-knitter can be.

The leaves are tumbling from the trees, showering my lawn with disappointment. Ok I was too hot and grousing last week, but now I want my summer back. *wails like a two year old*

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home