http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Just to Make You Scream

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Just to Make You Scream

Yes, it's about knitting. I know how to scare the pants off y'all with little effort. Still it's the end of Socktoberfest and so what better time show you what I finished today? Think of it as a Halloween fright.

The first of my saffron socks made from the yarn Belinda at Wool Bunny made for me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


It's hand painted, 100% merino wool knit with 2.75mm (US #2) double pointed needles. I'm sort of sorry now for only making a 1.5 inch 2x2 ribbed cuff intead of the 2 inches I normally knit but I got bored to death with knitting that cuff. The larger than normal needles and slightly looser gauge means that the sock fits me without the normal extra stitches that I add at the cuff and decrease later but it also means that it'll probably wear out faster. Eh. I usually wear my hand knit socks only indoors anyway.

And can I just take this moment to say that the toe on that sock in brilliant? It's perfection! Look at it! That's one ass kicking toe!

I will knit its mate sometime next month or maybe even December. There's a pair of socks I need to knit for Darling Mollie and a pair for B that I cast on for this afternoon that is going to take priority. I really just wanted to knit this one sock now and get a photo of it so Belinda can use it on the Wool Bunny website to show off her yarn dying abilities. She makes some pretty yarn doesn't she?

Okay. Scary stuff over. You can stop peeking through your fingers now.

10Comments:

Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

HAHAHA, Dixie. You are so funny (and scary). Again, I'm darn-tootin' proud of you and your sock-knitting expertise. You and Belinda both are extremely talented (as you know :)

11:30 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Gorgeous!! Really -- just gorgeous! (And what a TOE!) I just threw away two pairs of socks this morning... the $2.99 variety from Target. Maybe I need to take up knitting!

Carol

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love them! My grandmother knit me socks last year and when I know I'm going to have a tough day I always wear them.

2:23 PM  
Blogger christina said...

(I figured out how to comment again. It involves right clicking and opening in new window which I never had to do before. Must be something on my side)

I just love those colours and it's even cooler that Belinda hand- painted the yarn. Makes it so much more personal.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

Hey, Dix--I'm knitting a scarves for Linnea's school teachers, and they keep curling up on me.

I seem to remember you know a trick how to stop that. Do you? ~beege

9:38 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Beege, if you're knitting in stockinette, it's going to curl. You can knit in stockinette if you want but you have to knit the bottom, top and side edges in just a garter stitch to stop the curl.

For example a pattern would look like this:

Cast on 32 stitches.

Knit three rows garter stitch (knit every stitch) then switch to pattern stitch.

Pattern stitch

Row 1: K
Row 2: K2, P28, K2

Repeat pattern until scarf is X inches long, knit three rows garter stitch. BO.


What I'd suggest though is to knit the scarves in 2x2 rib. With a rib there's no curling and the scarf is the same on both sides.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

When you say 2X2 rib, do you mean something like a double moss stitch, or two rows knit, two rows purl?

I'm a self-taught knitter, which usually doesn't bother me too much--but sometimes when I want to make something "real" I find vast holes in my education. ;)

5:15 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Beege - Knit 2, Purl 2 and then when you go back be sure to knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches - in other words, what you knit on one side you will purl on the other and vice versa. The opposite makes moss stitch.

I wish I could hang out with you and knit all day, sweetie.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Beege said...

Gads, wouldn't that be grand?!

M keeps telling me he wants to take me to Germany sometime. I'll have to make sure Mburg is on the list of places we spend some time!

12:47 AM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Beege, the spare room is ready for y'all!

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home