http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: So Nice I Did it Twice

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

So Nice I Did it Twice

Okay, remember the whole blogging interview thing from last week? I interviewed Hilda who in turn interviewed Poppy (Are you reading their blogs? If not, why not?) and being as I'm a terrible smart aleck and am lacking in blogging inspiration this week I said "I wish someone would interview me again." - and so Poppy did. Danke, Poppy!

Round two:

1. You have a mere four hours in Memphis. How do you spend it?

First, your butt had better be there, Poppy and bring PKB and the Barefooted One as well. Four things are on the agenda:

a. We go to Corky's and indulge in Piggy Prozac.

b. We go find a yarn shop and bliss out in there for a while.

c. We go find an enormous display of lipstick and bliss out there for a while.

d. We'd go find some cream horns for PKB. 'Cause PKB loves cream horns.

Now I understand that this can be done in virtually any city, with the exceptions of going to Corky's, but if I were with y'all that's what I'd want to do. Pork barbecue, yarn, lipstick, cream horns, darling friends. Perfect four hours.

If I were alone for the four hours I'd probably go to the Pink Palace and groove in there. And make a quick dash into Corky's for a pulled pork sandwich.

2. How did Lottie the Sock Monkey come into your life?

I wrote a blog entry about it not very long after I got Lottie. Here's the part where I actually acquired Lottie:

When I was in the US last fall I decided that I must buy a sock monkey. I looked at a few places but didn't find one and my sister, who surprisingly didn't think I was completely bats for wanting a sock monkey, suggested we'd find one at the gift shop of a Cracker Barrel restaurant, the closest to my hometown being a good 45 minutes away in Tupelo. We made plans to drive down there for breakfast the following morning and snag one.

Evidently I was destined to go home with a sock monkey because there was one waiting for me - the last one in stock, as a matter of fact. Price was no object and by the time I was grazing on grits and buttermilk biscuits I had a sock monkey in a little brown sack at my side.

As I didn't want a nekkid sock monkey we set off to get some sock monkey sized clothes as Toys R Us. It was tough to find a dress for her that didn't have ducks or other babyish print on it but I did succeed in getting her a brown and red plaid dress. Sorta matches her skin and everything.

Note that I referred to her as...well...a her. I can't say that her gender just jumped out at me because let's be real. It's a sock monkey. It's whatever you want it to be. And mine got to be a girl because of one simple reason. It's easier to deal with a monkey tail in a dress than in a pair of teeny pants.

Now all she needed was a name. I liked Sophie but my sister insisted that my sock monkey would be a German sock monkey. Right. Sewed in Ohio and bought in Mississippi. I can see where the German part jumped out at her. Okay, so on to German names. I ran through my repetoir of German names until came across the name of B's great-grandmother, Charlotte. And thus she became Lottie.


Lottie has since then spent a summer with PKB, a visit where she was able to meet Poppy in person, and courtesty of PKB, Lottie now has a pair of teeny pants.

3. Favorite German food?

Currywurst. For the uninitiated, currywurst is a roasted bratwurst, usually, but not always, cut into slices (makes eating while standing at a currywurst stand easier) and doused with a ketchup based sauce seasoned with curry with more curry sprinkled on top. Often served with fries which are great when dipped in the sauce. Nutritionally it's a disaster but it's fabulously tasty.

I also like a good ol' roasted Thüringer Rostbratwurst. In my opinion the best bratwurst in Germany are the Thüringer style ones. Fabulous hot off the grill after they've been there roasting until they become a little blackened and the casing is all split and crispy. I eat mine with ketchup by my husband doesn't hold it against me.

4. Everyone always focuses on the negatives of physical disabilities. What are some of the good things that have come about because of your husband's limitations that might not have happened if he wasn't paralyzed?

Selfishly the best thing for me is that I can spend all day with him. I think it also gave him the opportunity to learn about computers back when personal computers were a new thing - had he stayed uninjured then perhaps he wouldn't have had the time to learn what has been able to learn over the years. I think it's given us both more patience and a great appreciation of the little things that can make you very content.

I just asked B the same question and he answered "I met you.". All together now: Awwwwwwww!!

5. You have an unlimited yarn budget. What's the first thing you buy?

Oooo. Wouldn't that be a dream come true? I know that I'd head right on over to Posh Yarn and get some of that incredibly decadent hand-dyed cashmere sock weight yarn. I don't know if I could bear the thought of my feet being in cashmere socks or the feeling of knitting 100% cashmere, but I'd love to try.

Is there anyone that I didn't interview the first time around who'd like to be interviewed this time? Speak up and I'll do it!

Here's the interview guidelines: Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me.” I will respond by asking you five questions in the comments here on this post so check back here. I get to pick the questions. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Labels: ,

5Comments:

Blogger Marshamlow said...

Another great interview. I just bought a book called, Weekend getaways in Mississippi, I cannot wait to get out there and see all these places and have my first pulled port sandwhich!

3:00 PM  
Blogger jen said...

these interviews are really interesting.

and dix, every girl should hve herself at least one pair of cashmere socks.

4:11 PM  
Blogger The DP said...

If I had four hours in Memphis I would go to Burke's books and India Palace and then go shopping for lipstick myself.
I miss Memphis.

5:01 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

Four hours in Memphis with Dix, Poppy, and PKB? Count me in!

7:50 PM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

what a great attitude you have :) and I am with you on the curry bratwurst, YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home