http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Save Me a Place

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, May 07, 2007

Save Me a Place

Last week while trying to stave off an enormous personal meltdown I told B that I was tired and burned out. I love him, I love my life and I love caring for him but I haven't had a full 24 hours off in nearly three years.

"Well, maybe you can take a weekend trip somewhere."

I don't want to take a weekend trip. Well, I do but it's not what I really want.

"Do you think I could go home this year?"

B knows how much I miss my family and how I really need to go see my mother before she begins to forget who I am. There's a lot to work out before I can leave but he was willing to take it on. Getting B to agree to this isn't the trick. It's getting my MIL to agree to it since she takes over caregiving duties when I'm gone.

Yesterday my MIL came over to visit. She came back from a two week trip to a spa in Poland on the Baltic Sea all refreshed and rested and I envied her. And I dreaded bringing up the idea of me leaving home for two weeks. About an hour into the visit B mentioned that I'd like to go home for a visit this fall and I cringed inside waiting for her answer. And true to form - because my MIL loves me so much - she said we'd work something out. She's too old to take on the physical demands of caring for B all by herself and she'll need someone to come in and help her but she said we'd find a solution. We're going to look into service organizations and see if they can have people come in and help with various things and there's the option of hiring a nurse from Poland or the Czech Republic (a cheaper solution than hiring a private nurse based in Germany) and there's also the possibility that friends of the family, Norbert and Helga, can help. They're both retired now and there's the added advantage that they also had a son who was a quadriplegic and they know what caring for a quad is all about.

In any case, we should be able to find a solution so I can make this trip. As of now I don't have any dates - sometime between mid-September to mid-October - it's really going to depend on when I can get a reasonably priced flight. I haven't even told my sister yet and this is the sort of thing we never mention to my mother until I'm on the plane but I feel 99% positive that I can pull this off.

And what will I do first when I hit my hometown? What I always do first. Drive straight to Sonic.

Labels: ,

14Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I think that it sounds great! You know, you have a different life now than you did when you lived in the US. But that doesn't mean you can't get home to visit your "other" loved ones.

I know you don't want to put your MIL in any bother, but you have to do this for yourself. You'll be glad you did, especially with your mom the way she is.

I wish that I could come visit you but I'm not able to in Sept/Oct...maybe I'll get to make a Germany trip someonday, huh? ;-)

Good luck getting it figured out, and enjoy Sonic when you do.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for you! What exciting news and Im so happy you will be able to see your family!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Amy in StL said...

Ha, I always drove straight to Jack in the Box when I came home.

11:48 PM  
Blogger hexe said...

Good for you! Everyone needs a break and yours is long overdue.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

That's wonderful Dixie, I'm thrilled for you!

Keep me posted, who knows, maybe a plane ride from Miami to Mississippi isn't too expensive!

Mmmmmm....Sonic's Chocolate Coke!

5:21 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I find after two or three years I start to pine and need to go home just to smell it, see it, hear it. Then of course spending time with my mum and sis. I hope you can work things out so you can go home. Having that time with family, and having a break is very important.

Me I headed straight for the local chippie LOL! ah, chips with chip shop curry sauce.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

How exciting. You deserve this. I can't wait to meet you in person.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I was starting to think you weren't human. I'm very happy for you, D. When you get back you've got to do a post on how everything has changed - please, please, please?

4:54 PM  
Blogger Princess Cat's Pajamas said...

I'm so glad you're getting to go home!

Now if only I could go to Sonic with you...

5:42 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I'll keep y'all posted with dates!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh please tell me that "home" is somewhere near Seattle so we can meet! I know... it's not. Dammit!

So glad you can have a chance to rejuvinate! We all need that -- and most of us need it a lot more often than every few years. I admire you!

carol

5:41 PM  
Blogger Mimey said...

Fingers crossed it goes smoothly for everyone.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Twango said...

That is wonderful news Dixie.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am really keeping my fingers crossed that you get to go. It is important for you to have time for yourself, too!

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home