http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: No Explaination as to Why He's Pink

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

No Explaination as to Why He's Pink

I wanted to get all Christmas crafty on y'all today but I ran out of time. And daylight with which to take decent pictures. And Scotch tape. This is a Scotch tape heavy craft and I couldn't be in the middle of some photo presentation to y'all and run out. Plus I had to take B to the dentist so he could get some fillings done and he spent most of the waiting time acting as if I were to accompany him to the gallows. He did fine though - got two fillings finished and all he's got left is another filling and a molar that's gone bad that's got to be pulled. Date of execution His next appointment is scheduled for December 19th. Hope that crater left by the pulled tooth is healed enough for him to manage his Christmas dinner.

So since we'll have to wait until tomorrow for paper and scissors and Scotch tape fun (it kills me how B calls it "sticky tape") let's shift gears and talk about good writing.

Christina, gave me a lovely treat by passing on to me this little award:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


And here's the idea behind it:

Those people given this award to are encouraged to post it on their own blogs; list three things they believe are necessary for good, powerful writing; and then pass the award on to the five blogs they want to honour, who in turn pass it on to five others, etc., etc. Let's send a roar through the blogsphere! The image at the top right can be copied and pasted onto other blogs. Also, a small size of the award for sidebars can be found over at the writing circle site.

I've had a blog for over 3 years now and I've read a lot of other blogs during that time. The ones that I believe contain good, powerful writing have some things in common:

1. An honest voice. And when I say an honest voice I mean it's a voice that's real and we can recognize. The powerful ones tend to be blogs that can not only make you laugh but can touch you deeply as well because honest interactions do that.

2. The ordinary can be made to sound extraordinary. It doesn't matter if you've just climbed Mt. Everest before lunch - if how you tell me the tale isn't done in an interesting way, I won't care. Conversely you can tell me about a trip to the grocery store and I'll hang on every word if you tell me the story in a different, interesting way.

3. Regardless of whether it's a novel or a blog, the ones with great writing make me wish I could hang out with the author.

And now to pass it on. Here are five blogs I read whose authors fit those three things I just mentioned:

Southern Muslimah is a lady who had made me both laugh and cry with her writing. Read her regularly and you'll soon see her big, generous heart.

I've been digging on Hilda for a good many years now, even before she started writing at The Mind Wobbles. She's fascinating and has such a full, happy life.

The Dictator Princess can take something as simple as a taxi ride or her love of Carmex and turn it into grand entertainment. And her travel tips? I follow them and they work!

Maria at Third Floor with Water View can move me with her words. Her voice is so honest. If I could only get her to write more often!

The Geek Inside makes geekdom look good. Mostly because Sari can take the ins and outs of daily life and make them something you look forward to hearing about. I'm not a mom but if I were, I would hope I could do it like she does.

I really do wish I could hang out with the five ladies. Lunch is on me!

Labels:

6Comments:

Blogger Hilda said...

Wow! Thank you...:)

6:06 AM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

I am really speechless and very honored, and yes, patting my teary eyes. I sure did not expect that. I think you're a gem of a blogger, and for some reason, a soul-sister. Maybe it's the southern connection, maybe the expat thing, maybe it's because you remind me of my own sisters with your humor and grace.

Anyhow, thanks so much.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

OMG! I just about jumped out of my chair with surprise! I'm so honored because I love your writing, I know you have a ginormous brain, and in general, I think you're fab!

Crap. Now that you've linked to me, I gotta post more often, you sneaky girl you! ;-)

2:15 PM  
Blogger sari said...

Thanks, my friend. You're too kind. And if you can get Miss (Ma)Ria to write more, that's an extra bonus! :-)

8:12 PM  
Blogger sari said...

PS I'd do lunch (or breakfast, dinner or a snack) with you any minute. Any minute.

Ok, except the minute you came to the US to visit, because I happened to be having a baby at the time, but any other minute, for sure.

9:00 PM  
Blogger The DP said...

Very honored! I have been afk until yesterday and do truly appreciate!
PS want any mayo from the US?

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home