http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: Meet Darling Mollie!

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Meet Darling Mollie!

After a weekend you'd think I'd have something to write but I'm afraid I don't. It's simply too freaking hot to think straight. I've wiped sweat off my upper lip so much I've chapped the skin.

So Darling Mollie, being as she loves me dearly, is going to pinch hit for me today and guest blog. Her first dabble into blogging, guest or otherwise. That's the true mark of friendship when someone will blow off work a bit to guest blog for you.

Kim is roasting in Germany right now. It is about 87 degrees at 10pm in her apartment, so I am taking over blogging today. I’m new at this and certainly no replacement for my best friend- but when in need, I’ll play Ed McMahon for her anytime.

I’ll entertain you all with my Farrell’s story. Since it is hot- a good ice cream story is pretty appropriate.

It was my 7th birthday. I dreamed about my birthday party for ages because in my family, a birthday party was no extravagant event. You had homemade cake, you had family and if you were lucky a paper hat. And that was dandy!

Well, I begged to the point that I guess I wore my parent down after about 3 years, and so I got my wish- I got a birthday party at Farrell's. All the girls in the class were invited (even Tracy Anderson who had to sit on the floor at parties because she would urinate on furniture)- and the week was spent as a minor celebrity. I was invited over to EVERYONE'S house that week to play.

The day of the event comes- and I am not feeling all that great. I swear up and down that I will be fine by 3:00pm and the party will go on. All my little friends start trickling in- Patty, Kerry, Debbie, Leah, Amy, Emily times 2- I mean, everyone showed up. My sister and brother were there too and they were finally big enough to be the party helpers- it was good all around. I open up all my gifts- I remember plainly getting 2 mini Pot Belly Bears and a Mickey Mouse Beach ball. Definitely hit the jack pot. I was known for my Pot Belly collection.

It was time to leave and I was beyond excited. The elusive Zoo sundae was finally to be mine. 42 scoops of bliss that I was to pick out! To this day, I do not think anyone knows that it was going to be 20 scoops chocolate, 20 scoops chocolate chip and 2 scoops vanilla with hot fudge and chocolate jimmys. My parents had purchased the extremely attractive 1978 Buick Regal coupe- niiiiiice. Amy Evans and Leah had begged to sit next to me on the ride over- other parents had shown up and all the kids were spread out in different cars.

Off we went! Until I barfed in the back seat. All over my parents new car. Never got my Zoo sundae- the group all piled into Kerry’s mom’s car and they sang Happy Birthday to my sister.

I spent the day with my dad. He told me how great it was that we got to play with all the stuff and were not stuck in Farrell's. I think I knew he was trying to be nice- but who are we kidding?! 27 years later I am owed that Zoo sundae! I think of it whenever it gets hot out.


God love her - she's been pining for 42 scoops of ice cream for the past 27 years and what do I send her? Socks! Times change though. No longer is Darling Mollie known for her Pot Belly Bear collection. It's her Chanel and Louis Vuitton collection she's known for now.

Danke for guest blogging, Darling Mollie! And when I see you next, the ice cream is on me.

Labels:

8Comments:

Blogger sari said...

I'm sorry you missed your party. I remember Farrell parties when I was a kid - the sirens, the straw hats, the red & white striped shirts.

Frankly, it was a little alarming, though it was fun. I don't think I actually had a party there myself, but I do remember going.

Someday, Mollie. Someday.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Hilda said...

Farrell's! OK - hadn't thought about that in 20+ years! I went to a couple of Farrell's parties when I was a kid. I think one of the times we got the 42 scoop one. I remember there was always Pistachio ice cream - which I love now, hated then! And you're right Sari - thet wore striped shirts and straw hats - I guess it was supposed to harken to "olde tyme ice creame shoppes". And everybody sang and good times were had by all.

Mollie, you did a great job as guest blogger. I think at your next birthday you should just bust out and buy enough ice cream to make yourself a 42 scooper! What the hell! I'm sure you can find *someone* to help you eat it. :)

5:20 AM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

I remember Farrel's too. Great post Mollie.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

WOW- Farrell's! I remember that place! At the one by my house there was like a 2-man band. One played an upright piano and the other the bango and a set of cymbals that were strapped to his knees and he would periodically slam together.

My brother had a party there and did the Zoo sundae thing. I remember it was huge, I didn't remember it was 42 scoops.

Mollie, you're a big girl now and I think you deserve your 42 scoop sundae. I even think you shouldn't wait for your birthday. Go for it! and take pictures! Have fun and enjoy. BTW, great post.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Hi Mollie!

What fun having one of Dixie's best friends do a guest post and take us down memory lane.
Back in the '70's we had to drive about an hour to get to a Farrell's. It always made the anticipation all the greater and we would share our thoughts on the merits of each flavor.
Dixie, tell Darling Mollie to start a blog that we can visit often. Isn't that how it works?

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Molly!

Well, thank you- it was a pip to do!

I loved Farrells. It was a dream to go and have the player piano go like nuts on your birthday and have the guy beat the big ass circus drum! I hate attention as a general rule, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't make an excuse to have that place go bezerk on my b-day.

Oh- and I was very disappointed when on my sister's birthday they did not sing to ME! I am still owed a seventh birthday.

I also remember that day that my mom was super worried that Tracy was coming- we just had the good sofa recovered...in white. My brother was in charge of making sure no one sat on that sofa.

Credit to my father- Big J was disappointed his first new car never smelled the same but felt really bad about me missing my birthday. He is a good Daddy!

D. Mollie

8:52 PM  
Blogger Lorelei said...

I used to love Farrell’s. I loved the smell of that place. I can still remember the way it looked, and the broken gum dispenser in the hallway leading out into the mall. I called it the "Long Hall of Happiness". The last time I went to the Wheaton, Maryland Ferrell's was for my elementary school graduation in 1983. I didn't barf before, but I probably barfed after. Happy memories!

6:22 PM  
Blogger UmmFarouq said...

How many sundaes did I eat at Farrell's as a kid!! Wow. My friend and I were just saying the other day how hard it is for us to go to our old mall "stomping grounds" because it's totally re-done...no Farrell's or any of the stores we used to love.

We used to be really horrid and leave the waitress's tip at the bottom of our milkshake glasses. Of course our moms had dropped us off on our own for hours on end. Thank God that's the worst we did.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home