http://www.one.org Dixie Peach: That train ticket

Cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

That train ticket

That ticket I've been keeping secret was used today. If you read the blogs from Christina or Ginnie then you know I was able to use that train ticket to go to Hannover to meet them both!

And if you don't read their blogs, then you're missing out on good stuff.

You know it has to be something big to get me up at 6:30am. I acknowledge only one 6:30 per day and that's not the one. Still after a night of little sleep I was up and on the train heading west. No camera in hand but still armed with a lot of excitement to meet two ladies I admire a great deal.

Ginnie was right there on the train platform to meet me. Not just waiting on the platform but her incredible intuition had her standing right there at the proper place so that when I stepped off the train she was right in front of me. And from that first hug the chatting started and it never let up again.

Let me pause here and say that if you're ever at the Hannover Hauptbahnhof and need to use the rest room, be sure to have 1,10€. Not quite as bad as Harrods' "pound a pee" but close.

A trip by bus took us to Christina's town and there she was faithfully there to meet us at the bus stop and to deliver more hugs. Now there were three voices to this never ending stream of chatter and it only got more enjoyable from there.

We walked the long route back to Christina's home, pausing from time to time to admire the gardens of her neighbors and to look at the other sights in her town. It's much hillier than were I live so it was nice to have such a good walk after being hemmed up in a train and then a bus for two hours.

All of us had treats to share with one another and the photos and conversation and the building of Kinder Egg toys only added to the enjoyment. We ended up giving all the toys to Ginnie because Christina and I can feed out need for Kinder Eggs any time we please.

Our gracious hostess treated us to a terrific lunch and those familiar with Christina's blog know that she enjoys cooking and likes to show photos of the various dishes she creates. I can now personally say that what she cooks tastes as good as it looks.

The rest of the time was spent in conversation that didn't let up for a moment. It was so easy to talk to both Ginnie and Christina and it felt as if I did it every day. Christina has a lovely, comfortable home and she made us feel so welcome.

And her two boys are terrific. Handsome, friendly, nice fellas. A wonderful reflection of their mum.

More conversation, more laughter, more getting to know each other better and then it was time to head back to the bus stop for the ride back to the train station. It was unbelievable how fast the afternoon passed.

Hugs were given with promises to meet up again soon. On the ride back to the train station Ginnie and I never let up on the conversation and then too soon it was time for me to board the train for home.

I don't often get the chance to get away from home. My primary responsibility and what I love best it taking care of B so it's hard for me to have a day off. When I do, I like to make sure it's something really special and this day lived up to my expectations. Christina and Ginnie were so gracious and generous and absolutely fun to be around. The kindness and positive outlook they project in their blogs is no facade - they're the real deal and I feel very lucky to have spent such a happy day with them.

Too bad my camera had to miss out on it.

9Comments:

Blogger christina said...

It was so great meeting you today! One of the best days I've had in a long time too, believe me. We'll definitely have to do this again.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Marshamlow said...

what a great adventure y'all had. good for you.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

That sounds like such fun. Much better than my recent trip. :( You know, one of the things I really miss from Germany are the trains. I was only a kid but I remember riding them to get where we wanted.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I read Christina's blog yesterday, I knew where you were going! Glad you got to go away for a day. I just hope B did not have to spend time with that strange guy, what was his name, Wolfgang?

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Dixie Peach.
Nice to meet you. My name is Nori. I live in Japan. (I’m lady.)

I followed a link from “Mausi” blog. And, I added your blog to my favorite list. I look forward to reading your blog from now.
May I occasionally comment to your blog ?
(But you know I am poor in English. I’m sorry for wrong expression.)
Oh, I’m sorry. This comment was exactly the same comment that I wrote to “GINNIE”’s blog.

Sincerely
Nori

3:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well we got all the good pics on the other two sites. But I think all three of you are on cloud 9 after that meet up! I certainly would be. :)

4:18 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Christina - Aren't you so glad everything went off without a hitch? I couldn't have asked for a better day!

Marsha - Now you finally know where that secret train ticket took me!

Katya - You've had loved the day with us. Come visit me and we'll bring you along!

Claire - You're a good guesser! No, B didn't have to stay with Wolfgang...I'd never do that to him. His mom had to B-sit.

Nori - Nice to have you join us...I'd be thrilled to have you read and comment here whenever you like! And don't worry about your English...I think it's just fine. :)

Expat Trav - What a time for me to be without a camera, huh? And I wanted to bring back photos to show you!

9:19 PM  
Blogger BarefootCajun said...

How fun! I'm glad y'all had such a great day.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

There are just some memories that endure and that will definitely be one of them! Thank you so much, Kim, for taking the time and energy to make it all happen, especially since you can't be foot-loose and fancy-free like many of the rest of us. Maybe the next time you and Christina can come to our apartment in Hannover's Kirchrode neighborhood!

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home